Saturday, February 26, 2011

How to improve your tonality

Hey guys.

If you remember, a few posts ago I talked about "Attraction" that's built up of looks, vibe and behaviour, and I promised there that I will make a post about tips to improve your tonality, so here's the post as I promised!

In this post I'll give you tips and drills (vocal exercises) that will help you improve your tonality which, as a side bonuis, will improve the vibe you create in your communication (because Tonality is a major aspect of vibe!).

So let's start!


How I got to improve my own voice

I used to have a very weak voice normally. Maybe due to my work as a programmer (where I was barely speaking) or maybe due to just bad habits of operating my voice, but I had a voice that could barely be heard and was airy and breathy. At some point I realized that my voice could be impacting the way I am perceived by others (And these things do affect other people unconsciously. We could go all philosophical and say that a great "seducer" can get women even with bad looks, vibe, and behaviour. I could agree to it on some level, but the reality is that MOST people, and women, are VERY SHALLOW as far as the first impression goes, and I'm only talking about the FIRST IMPRESSION. A good first impression gets them hooked up, a bad first impression will get most to want to leave. this is reality!) so I decided to start working on it.

The first thing I noticed about my voice, was that everytime I went out to a club .. maybe due to the loud music and my need to make my voice sound louder inside those places .. when I came out of the club my voice would suddenly open-up and be realy loud, clean, and resonant! This would usually last for a couple of days, before it got back to the normal weak, breathy voice.

I posted a question about this in a medical forum that has to deal with voice problems, and one of the doctors there suggested me that the change in my voice happens due to changes in my habits of controlling my voice, that gets changed when I'm in a club environment to fit-in. When I leave the club, because I've unconsciously trained my voice for about an hour or so inside the club, I get out and it stays the same for a couple of days before it gets back to it's normal patterns.

This meant to me that I have to find ways to practice and train my voice so it'll be resonant, clean and loud even on a daily basis. Now i'll share with you the insights I have come with, and the vocal exercises I've managed to practice to maintain my voice as it is ..


Vocal drill #1 : Create Resistance

If your voice is weak, it may be because youre "voice muscles" are weak and not used. Same as it was with me. When I went to a club, because of the loud volume, I had to push my voice stronger to get it to be heard. As a return, this strengthened my loudness. You can achieve the same affect without going to a club, but by creating resistance to your voice - so you'll have to push it stronger to be heard. Makes sense, no?

You do it by taking a straw ("קשית") and putting it in your mouth, and then start "uuhhhh"ing vocal tones through it (like a musical octave up and down). The straw creates resistance because the voice has to be tunneled through a small tiny air space, and in return it presses the vocal cords so when you release it, your voice becomes stronger.

Here's a clip that illustrates it:



Extra tip: You can put your finger on the far side of the straw, to cover the open spot in order to add even more resistance to your voice.


Vocal drill #2: Make your vocal cords vibrate (Warm-up / "Lip Bubble")

Another aspect of creating your voice is whether or not the vocal cords actually vibrate when you create a sound. In order to get them to vibrate, you use a simple exercise called "Lip Bubble".
Here's a video that illustrates this:



Vocal drill #3: Open your throat up

Another aspect of a good, clean and resonant voice is whether your throat & neck muslces are relaxed and releived. A tensed throat or neck causes the voice box (aka "Larynx") to move away and the air will get cut off, which will make it more difficult to get a voice out and you'll have to invest more energy to it. You want the entire area of your throat & neck to be relaxed and that way the voice will come up easier, the voice box will stay in it's place and therefore the voice will come out nice, clean and resonant.
Here's a video to illustrate it:



Another great video with explanation:

Check out this guy's videos, his name is Roger Burnley and he has very good videos and explains the whole voice creation process in a very interesting way and has great exercises.
You can check his channel on youtube at this link.
Here's a nice video with his explanation of how the voice creation process works:



Final note:

That's it for this post!
Start practicing your tonality improving, and feel free to reply and share your experiences.

-- leedrag0n

No comments: